On July 18th at 5:22 PM, Officers responded to the Acme for the report of a female inside the store smashing and throwing glass bottles. The female, a 30-year-old resident of Philadelphia, also created a disturbance earlier at another business in the same shopping center.  The bottle thrower was taken into custody and received citations for disorderly conduct and criminal mischief.  

On July 20th, a resident reported a possible fraud by mail.  The resident received mail from the Department of Labor and Industry regarding unemployment for a person whose name the resident did not recognize.  The resident also, a week prior, received a debit card in the mail for a person with the same name.  Within a day, we took a similar report from another resident reporting the same type of fraud.  Local police departments in PA and elsewhere are seeing a spike in unemployment fraud cases since the onset of COVID-19.  

If you receive a paper check or debit card for unemployment benefits in the mail but did not file in Pennsylvania, do not cash the check or use the card.  Likewise, if you receive a direct deposit but did not seek benefits in Pennsylvania, do not use the money. The Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry website contains detailed instructions for returning the funds.  

In addition, report suspected identity theft to the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry and the Federal Trade Commission. A complaint form is available on the Department’s website: Identity theft and fraud can also be reported to the department using its fraud hotline, 1-800-692-7469. The FTC also has an entire website devoted to identity theft:

On Monday, July 20 2020 at 7:20 PM, Marple Officers responded to Lawrence Road for a report of an intoxicated male.  Officers made contact with the visibly intoxicated/impaired subject who provided the Officers with a false name.  While trying to identify the person, the male ran from the Officers, sprinting to the rear of an apartment complex.  Behind the apartment complex, the male ignored the officers' commands to stop and jumped into the creek bed.  The subject, now identified as Gilberto Giraud, refused to comply even and tried to flee by entering into the creek.  Giraud resisted as multiple officers attempted to place him in handcuffs while in the creek.  Giraud was found to have a needle used for injecting heroin/fentanyl in his possession. Giraud had multiple outstanding arrest warrants from Philadelphia and Delaware Counties.